March 26, 2013: commenced 7:05 p.m.
Chair: Elmer Rudolph
Recorder: Gavin McLeod
Number of attendees: 9
- Approval of minutes of previous meetings: Motion to approve minutes of November 27th 2012. Moved by Gavin McLeod and seconded by Heather MacKenzie.
- Additional Agenda Items: Mary Wilson will report on “Jane’s Walk” and topics from previous minutes; Gavin McLeod will move motion to remove Andrew Murray from signing authority on WERA account; Mary Wilson and Elmer Rudolph will report on updates to topics arising from the previous minutes.
- Report on Changes to Neighbourhood Traffic Advisory Committee (NTAC) : Gavin McLeod reported on proposed changes at the Neighbourhood Traffic Advisory Committee, Elmer and Gavin met with Councillor Jamie McEvoy to discuss changes based on complaints, Gavin McLeod was asked to act as alternate chairperson to prevent cancellation due to a lack of chairperson; Gavin McLeod requested that minutes be posted on the city website and the proposal was endorsed by Jamie McEvoy .
- Report on Citizens’ Police Committee Meeting: Gavin McLeod reported on the latest Citizen’s Police Committee meeting, Gavin McLeod reported to the Committee on graffiti west of 20th in the lane north of 7th Ave.
- Small Grants for Neighbourhood Events: Mary Wilson reported on the Vancouver Foundation Small Grants Program, the grants are available, details at: http://vancouverfoundation.ca/grants/index.htm.
- Pedestrian/Bicycle/Transit Advisory Committee (ACTBiPed): Mary Wilson reported on the activities of the ACTBiPed advisory committee. Mary Wilson referred to a problem on 12th and Edinburgh where construction has made the sidewalk unavailable to pedestrians causing pedestrians to use the street; the problem has been ongoing for about 1 year. Mary reported that the problem has been addressed and a policy change re sidewalk closures has been proposed.
- Redrafting of City Zoning Bylaws: Elmer Rudolph reported that the zoning bylaws are undergoing a complete update including editing, the zoning bylaws were created in 1940 and needed to be revised for the purpose of clarity and brevity.
- Report on Lower 12th Street Plan-Street Design es: Elmer Rudolph reported on the latest revision of the lower 12th development design guidelines, details may be found on street, zoning and pedestrian guidelines city website: http://www.newwestcity.ca/business/planning_development/community_plans/neighbourhood_plans/articles2066.php.
- Jane’ Walk in New Westminster: Mary Wilson reported on Jane’s walk, Jane’s Walk is a series of conversational walking tours inspired by urban thinker Jane Jacobs, Mary Wilson has volunteered to be the City coordinator for New Westminster, two walks have been organized to this point and more expected, more information is available at website: http://www.janeswalk.net/ .
- Motion to remove Andrew Murray (former Vice President): Gavin McLeod moved the following motion: Whereas Andrew Murray is no longer Vice President of WERA I move that Andrew Murray’s name be removed from signing authority at Community Savings Credit Union, seconded by Mary Wilson, passed by majority.
- Intrusion of Retaining Wall onto City Property: Mary Wilson reported that a new house at 13th and Dublin has a retaining wall intruding onto city property, the city will check it out.
- Memberships: Elmer offered the opportunity to pay membership dues of $2 per year from January to December.
Meeting adjourned at: 8:30
Next meeting Tentatively for Tuesday May 28th 2013 at Unity in Action Church from 7pm to 9pm.