June 22, 2010; commenced 7:13 p.m.
Chair: Elmer Rudolph
Recorder: Gavin McLeod
Guests: David Gagne: City Representative
Approval of minutes of previous meeting: Moved Seconded and Carried to approve minutes of the March 23, 2010 meeting: moved by Mary Wilson seconded by Gavin McLeod.
1. Additional agenda items: Report on street sign toppers by Elmer Rudolph.
2. Summer Festival Event at Grimston Park: Gavin McLeod reported on the progress of creating a community event for the west end for July 17th running from the afternoon to late night. The plan for the event is to have a movie, musical entertainment, refreshments, block watch table, WERA table, and history of Grimston Park perhaps with the presence of a member of the Grimston family.
3. Report on 20th street traffic study and London Street bike route: A traffic study is scheduled and Burnaby has been consulted, no public input has been requested to date. A bike route is proposed for London Street but the high accident rate and heavy traffic is causing safety concerns. Crossing 20th could be a problem as London is a staggered crossing at 20th.
4. Brow of the Hill traffic calming plan: Traffic calming measures have been proposed for the lower part of the “Brow of the Hill” area of New Westminster; the purpose of which is to slow and deter through traffic in that area. The plan has not been accepted by the residents’ association as they are split, a vote of 75 percent in favour is required.
5. Reprinting of West End recollections 2000 “Memories are made of this”: The publication may be reprinted, Renee Chadwick reported that a pdf file had been located. Copies of “Memories Are Made of This” may be sold at the Summerfest in Grimston Park.
6. Additional Items: Dave Niessen brought up subject of trucks using exhaust brakes where not permitted; Dave requested that WERA generate a letter of support for stricter enforcement; Mr. Niessen agreed to provide more written information in support of his request.
Motion: Motion for the president of WERA to write a letter of support to City Hall
Moved by Gavin McLeod, Seconded by Andrea Francis.
Mary Wilson had several announcements:
Mary announced her attendance and recognition at the Penticton Parks and Recreation Conference in
Upcoming Events: Summerfest in Grimston Park on July 17th.
12th Street Music Festival on August 1st.
New Westminster Cultural Crawl on August 7th and 8th
Adjourned: 8:40 pm.
Next meeting: tentatively scheduled for September 2010 @ 7pm at Tweedsmuir School Library; date to be determined.