General Meeting: January 26, 2010; commenced 7:03 p.m.
Chair: Elmer Rudolph
Recorder: Gavin McLeod
1. Approval of minutes of previous meeting: Moved Seconded and Carried to approve minutes of November 24, 2009 meeting.
2. Approval of agenda/ additional items: Connaught heights residents’ association merger with WERA; three city projects affecting the west end.
3. Update on Romanian Church rezoning at 1932 8th Avenue: Residents adjacent to the church have expressed dissatisfaction with the process and information provided. Contentious items include the setback from the property line and the intrusion of the extension beyond what is currently present in neighbouring houses, the property was assigned a comprehensive development zone permit. Other problems mentioned were the lack of collaboration with the affected residents in the area and the unreadable information on the website. A third reading/ public hearing was scheduled for December 2009, rescheduled to January 11th 2009 but that meeting was adjourned. A rough draft of a letter was created at tonight’s meeting and approved by vote at the meeting by motion by Gavin McLeod and seconded by Fred Pfleuger. A meeting of affected residents and WERA executive members will take place on Saturday January 30th to refine the details of the letter. the letter will be sent to City Hall.
4. Future of Mercer Stadium: when new high school constructed?: Since the agenda was created Paul Daminato announced that the new school could be built without losing Mercer stadium or Massey theatre..
5. 12th Street Initiatives/ Update: John Ashdown reported on the progress of the 12 street mosaic program and asked for a volunteer, there is one mosaic left to complete the program. Interested parties can send an email to email@example.com.
6. Higher Profile for W.E.R.A.: Mary Wilson is working with a sub-committee to create a higher profile for WERA by means of the internet and printed media.
7. Citizen Police Committee Report: Gavin McLeod reported to the CPC on the problems with 20th and was assured that extra resources have been assigned to the problem. Reports of tagging by etching glass with acid have been reported, the acid is supposed to be available at arts and crafts stores. At the meeting resident reported that kids have been hanging around Tweedsmuir school after dark; also people have been walking dogs off leash on the school grounds.
8. Traffic Advisory Committee Report: Andrea Francis reported from the Traffic Advisory Committee. At the last meeting a question was raised re Transit buses going up 18th, apparently they only do this if blocked from accessing 20th.
9 Additional Agenda Items:
1) Proposed merger with Connaught heights residents’ association: Tracy Plevy suggested a merger between the Connaught Heights Residents’ association and the West End Residents’ Association; Elmer Rudolph advised Tracy to do a canvass and collect signatures to indicate a reasonable level of interest in pursuing the merger.
2) Projects affecting the west end: Mary Wilson reported that that a traffic survey will be done on 20th street residents will probably be included.
3) New Bike Route: London has been declared to be a bike route but crossing 20th might be a problem with the existing cross walk.
4) Street Sign Toppers for West End: Elmer Rudolph reported on the lack of progress with street sign toppers; the project has been approved and the money has been allotted but the department responsible for making the signs has been busy; with luck the sign toppers will be completed by spring.
Adjourned: 9:00 pm,
Next meeting:, Tuesday March 30 @ 7pm at Tweedsmuir School.