W. E. R. A. General Meeting
West End Residents' Association
General Meeting: May 26, 2009; commenced 7:05 p.m.
Chair: Elmer Rudolph
Recorder: Gavin McLeod
Moved and seconded that the Minutes of March 24, 2009 meeting be accepted.
1. Approval of the amended Constitution and Bylaws. Deferred until the June meeting and possibly the September Annual Meeting.
2. Update on 12th Street public Art Initiative. Mary Wilson reported that a third phase of the street art project will be incorporated between 8th Ave and 10th Ave; the city proposes to have 16 slabs and 4 mosaics; on June 3rd an open house at Kiss a Frog will display proposals for the street art..
3. Neighbourhood Street Sign Grant: Elmer Rudolph reported that the grant has been approved for $4000, at $100 per sign we will get 40 signs to be distributed throughout the West End; Bruce Phillips from city wall will offer suggestions, the sign committee will consider these recommendations.
4. Pedestrian Overpass at 6th and Stewardson: Elmer will contact Jim Lowrie re progress, one suggestion was to split the cost, 1/3 provincial, 1/3 Translink and 1/3 advertising.
5. Farmers’ Market. Andrew Murray reported that the Farmers’ Market will resume on June 25th from 3 pm to 7 pm and will return every Thursday through October 8th; a fund raiser will be held on June 11th from 6-9 at the Brooklyn Pub, ticket purchase includes a beer and a burger and Chuck Puchmayr’s band Syndicate will be performing.
6. Traffic Committee Report: Andrea Francis reported on the last meeting of the Traffic Advisory Committee, the topic was the transportation plan.
7. Citizens’ Police Committee Report: Gavin McLeod reported on the May21st meeting of the citizens’ police committee: since installing solar powered speedometers on 8th street a reduction in the number of speeding vehicles has been noticed, some speeding vehicles including postal trucks have been observed on Hamilton street next to Lord Tweedsmuir School.
Adjourned. Next meeting Tuesday, June 23rd ,2009, 7pm at Tweedsmuir School.