West End Residents' Association
General Meeting: January 30, 2007; commenced 7:00 p.m.
Chair: Elmer Rudolph
Recorder: Gavin McLeod
Reading and approval of Minutes
Minutes approved as distributed.
1. Block Watch Presentation by S/Sgt. Casey Dehaas.
2. Progress report on residents’ survey-small lot development in west end by Elmer Rudolph
3. Satus report on pedestrian overpass 6th Ave/ Stewardson Way
4. Report on public hearing–rezoning application for liquor store at 804 12th Street.
5. Report on TILMA (BC/ Alberta) labour/ trade agreement by Andrew Murray.
1. Block Watch
Report by /Sgt. Casey Dehaas
Reported on advantages of Block Watch.
Reported on general crime in the West End.
Reported on plans to revitalize the Block Watch program.
Answered questions related to crime prevention and Block Watch.
2. Progress Report On Residents Survey-Small Lot Development In The West End.
Report by Elmer Rudolph.
Updated stats for survey; previously reported 24 ballots taken away and 16 returned, revised to 18 taken away and 18 returned.
Reported that information from City Hall is not available at this time.
Sixty Seven surveys were completed out of hundreds of people in the West End.
An expanded survey was suggested as a possibility.
The results of the first survey were close numerically and will be analysed by the city staff.
The city would like a 20 percent response.
Motion by Chris Bryan:
Move that the West End Residents Association defer further action on small lot subdivision until the results of the survey are released by the City of New Westminster.
Seconded by Peter Lovick
3. Pedestrian Overpass at 6th Ave/ Stewardson Way
Jim Lowrie responded to letter from WERA.
Letter indicated that the proposal for a commercial overpass was turned down due to demand for more billboard space
Indicated that a grade separated crossing would be created.
Because of the lack of specific detail WERA decided to send another letter to Jim Lowrie to request clarification.
4. Report on 12th Street Liquor Store.
The liquor store will not be moved to the proposed location on 12th.
No clear action by Mr. Nirmal Walia has been revealed.
5. Report on TILMA by Andrew Murray.
Reported that TILMA (Trade, Investment and Labour Mobility Agreement)is a compreh.
TILMA is essentially a free trade agreement between Alberta and BC
TILMA may affect the sovereignty of local governments.
Check these links: http://www.canadians.org/DI/issues/TILMA/index.html
It was suggested that letters be sent to New West City Council and MLA.
Moved/ Seconded/ Carried to adjourn.